Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Students remain optimistic about summer despite COVID-19

Devon Beacham and Kyle Sullivan
Staff Writers

       With the year slowly coming to an end, in the least traditional way possible, students are holding onto hopes they will have at least a sliver of a normal summer given the circumstances. Regardless of grade, all students would give anything to have summer, especially seniors where it might be their last “normal” one.
       We asked students from each grade what their anticipated plans are for the warm season if all goes well in regards to the current pandemic.
  Freshman, Kiersten Marcello has set some positive and hopefully achievable goals for herself. Kiersten says: “If all goes well, and all of this coronavirus stuff goes away, I plan to make up for all the hours of doing nothing in my house. The first thing I would probably do is get my first job so I can start making my own money. Some of my friends won’t be staying in New Hope next year, so I will definitely be spending a lot of time with them. We will make the most of our summer by going out and biking every day and baking a bunch of brownies.”
  Unfortunately, sophomore Kennedy Fisher’s plans are going to need some alteration. “My plan was to go to Greece and Italy this summer, but that’s not possible anymore,” Kennedy said. With the coronavirus affecting the entire world, international travel is banned for the time being. Kennedy plans to make up for her overseas trip as soon as she can.
  Junior Samantha Finch seems to be somewhat sticking to her typical summer plans: “If everything that is going on continues, my plan is to head to my beach house in Stone Harbor. It is so peaceful there and I feel it will be a great place to pass the time in quarantine.”
  Finally, with seniors upset about the abrupt end to the best year of their high school career, Will Kelley shares wise words: “Always make a total effort, even when the odds are stacked against you.”