Sunday, October 11, 2015

The pleasures of early dismissal

Lindsay Park
Staff Writer

Early dismissal is a privilege longed for by underclassmen who await their senior year when they may be able to leave school at 1:45 p.m. As someone who enjoys this privilege, I can say that it was definitely worth the wait.
  Leaving early is the highlight of my day. I no longer have to push through eight periods in the day, but instead I get to leave after seventh period. It might not seem like much, but after three years in high school, not having that extra period makes a difference, and I am reminded of that difference every time there is a 7/8 switch.
  The dreaded 7/8 switch is honestly the death to all who have an early dismissal. We have to sit around in the library or cafeteria and act like we are doing something when in reality we are ranting to each other about how mad we are that we can’t leave. Although we understand why we cannot leave (for safety reasons and whatnot), that doesn’t comfort us one bit.
  Besides those days, early dismissal is my savior. When I leave, the parking lot is calm and not filled with traffic. There isn’t a school zone speed limit at 1:45, so there is not any traffic on West Bridge Street. What more could a person that is trying to get away from school as quickly as possible ask for?
  While rising seniors wait for their schedules over the summer hoping for an early dismissal, they are also praying for their friends to get it as well. And if you are lucky, like me, your friends have early dismissal with you. Leaving early is great without your friends with you, but it is absolutely amazing when they are there with you. My friends and I are able to do whatever our hearts desire together at 1:45, but whatever we choose to do, it is so much better when doing it together.